Richard Benyon has responded to the Great Western Specification Consultation by reaffirming the improvements that rail users in the Newbury constituency wish to see.
Richard’s key requests were:
- Electrification beyond Newbury Station to Bedwyn, key for rail users using Kintbury and Hungerford stations.
- In the event of electrification to Bedwyn not going ahead in the current program, a guarantee that direct services to Kintbury and Hungerford stations will continue and that current services that change at Reading, do not require a second change at Newbury.
- More direct services to Thatcham Station.
- Better access to platforms at Newbury Station, with a lift linking platforms 1 and 2.
- More frequent and regular services to cope with our growing population, increased economic activity and greater leisure demands.
Following the consultation period, which has now ended, responses will be considered and the Rail Executive will produce a summary of the outcomes, which will be published later in the year.